Recommendations of Pope John Paul II on praying the holy rosary
Per chapter 3 of the Apostolic Letter on the Rosary of the Virgin Mary published Oct. 16, 2002. In order to focus more effectively on the face of Jesus, and to conform more closely to Him
I. Suggested method for each mystery prayed
- Announcement of each mystery.
- Scripture reading for each mystery.
- With public group recitations, when appropriate, include a short reflection on each mystery, after the scripture reading; based on the memories and the contemplative gaze of the Virgin Mary on the person of Christ; and within the context of the “rhythms of human life;” in other words, as they are seen in everyday human life.
- Short period of silence after the scripture reading (or after the reflection).
- After the decade is finished include a short prayer or invocation, for an increase in the “fruit” or virtue, which pertains to the mystery prayed.
II. At the conclusion of the rosary
- Pray the Hail, Holy Queen.
- Pray three prayers for the Holy Father and his intentions, in order to be united with the universal church.
Other suggestions by the Rosary Evangelization Apostolate
- After beginning the rosary with the sign of the cross, pray a short prayer to the Holy Spirit.
- After the prayer to the Holy Spirit, mention the general and other intentions prayed for:Offer the opening three Hail Marys for an increase of faith, hope and love.
- For the cause of peace and the family
- For all the intentions of those present
- Other intentions which are deemed suitable
- Conclude the rosary with several invocations such as:
- Each of our patron saints, pray for us
- Each of our guardian angels, pray for us
- Saint of the day, pray for us
- St. Joseph, pray for us
- St. John the Evangelist, pray for us
- Blessed Bartolo Longo, pray for us
- Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us