to pray the rosary
Recommendations of Pope John Paul II on praying the
Per chapter 3 of the Apostolic Letter on the Rosary of the Virgin Mary
published Oct. 16, 2002. In order to focus more effectively on the face
of Jesus, and to conform more closely to Him
I. Suggested method for each mystery prayed
1. Announcement of each mystery.
2. Scripture reading for each mystery.
3. With public group recitations, when appropriate, include a short
on each mystery, after the scripture reading; based
on the memories
and the contemplative gaze of the Virgin Mary
on the person
of Christ; and within the context of the “rhythms
words, as they are seen in everyday
4. Short period of silence after the scripture reading (or after the
5. After the decade is finished include a short prayer or invocation,
for an increase
in the “fruit” or virtue, which pertains to the
II. At the conclusion of the rosary
1. Pray the Hail, Holy Queen.
2. Pray three prayers for the Holy Father and his intentions,
to be united with
the universal church.
Other suggestions by the Rosary Evangelization Apostolate
1. After beginning the rosary with the sign of the cross, pray a short
to the Holy Spirit.
2. After the prayer to the Holy Spirit, mention the general and other
a.For the cause of peace and the family
b.For all the intentions of those present
c.Other intentions which are deemed suitable
3. Offer the opening three Hail Marys for an increase of faith, hope
4. Conclude the rosary with several invocations such as:
a.Each of our patron saints, pray for us
b.Each of our guardian angels, pray for us
c.Saint of the day, pray for us
d.St. Joseph, pray for us
e.St. John the Evangelist, pray for us
f.Blessed Bartolo Longo, pray for us
g.Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us